King County Promise
What is the King County Promise?
By 2024, almost 90% of living wage jobs in King County will require some kind of postsecondary education and postsecondary credentials can unlock the door to living wage jobs. We know that the keys to completion are both scholarships/aid and high quality supports. The recent state Workforce Education Investment Act is a huge leap forward in financial access. But it’s not enough to get the results we want. Students also need support from adults to navigate the college access system, in order to take advantage of tuition supports and successfully navigate to and through their postsecondary credentials.
The King County Promise is a supports system that fills in the gaps by providing what students tell us they need to be successful:
- High School, College and Community Based Organization advisors for historically under-served students and young people who can use help to get back on track towards a degree/credential
- Alignment between K-12 and college systems to eliminate barriers and facing students, to ensure equitable access and success through long term system change
The King County Promise is currently a proposal being considered by the King County Council. The Puget Sound Taxpayer Accountability Account (PSTAA) through a historic investment of $315 million over a 15 year period will fund various proposals for educational services to improve educational outcomes for early learning, K-12 and postsecondary outcomes. More details on the PSTAA process can be found here.
Together, we can make this happen.
● Contact your county councilmember in support of King County Promise
● Stay informed on the King County Process: www.kingcounty.gov/council/issues/education.aspx
● Join the weekly King County Promise organizing phone calls hosted by the Puget Sound College and Career Network (Wednesday’s, 8:30 -9:00am) (contact email@example.com)
King County Promise Supporters:
Auburn School District
Federal Way Public Schools
Highline Public Schools
Kent School District
Renton School District
Seattle Public Schools
Tukwila School District
Lake Washington Institute of Technology
North Seattle College
Renton Technical College
Seattle Central Colleges
South Seattle College
Shoreline Community College
List of Partners
College Success Foundation
Community Center for Education Results
Puget Sound Coalition for College & Career Readiness
Puget Sound College and Career Network
Puget Sound Educational Service District
Seattle Education Access
United Way of King County
King County Promise Updates:
King County Promise was featured in the Seattle Times
(Coming soon) Read more from students, advocates, educators and more in support of King County Promise here
To get in touch - contact us.
Click here for a detailed overview of the King County Promise (updated June 2019)